Parliamentary Support Staff / Legislative Internship
African Leadership Forum, River State House of Assembly
September 2012 - January 2013 (5 months)
- Carry out research into local, regional and international issues as required, ensuring the Member is made aware of any relevant issues
- Identify any issues to assist the Member in their parliamentary work.
- Analysing and evaluate research and interpret data ensuring key issues are identified.
- Preparing and present results both orally and in writing e.g. for parliamentary questions, briefing notes for committees, articles and press releases.
- Providing briefings and potential questions to the Member and motions to be put to the house.
- Monitoring bills, Early Day Motions, legislation, Hansard, debates, etc.
- Monitoring coverage in the media, and liaise with the media when necessary.
- Advising and guide the Member on policy issues.
- Progress casework through liaison with local and national bodies, government agencies, lobby groups, etc. and effectively research local, regional or national issues.
- Maintain, update and develop knowledge of relevant legislation.