Reporting to the GM Operations, oversee the HSE Management System, Community Affairs and Maintenance of both fixed and mobile equipment Nationwide with 5 direct reports, 120 employees and up to 6 projects of bulk storage depots concurrently (e.g. Uyo, Enugu, Sokoto, Calabar, Owerri and Chevron Aviation Fuel system maintenance).
Plan, execute and direct HSE Management System (MS) for different projects within the company.
Direct and coordinate strategic planning, organization and execution of the HSE Management System including resource allocation, client relations, risk mitigation strategies, site audits, regulatory compliance, incident investigations, community affairs, budgeting, forecasting, subcontractor pre-qualifications and training.
• Plan, organize, allocate resources and execute pre-job safety programs (e.g. group risk assessments, project hazard assessments, project specific site safety plans & training)
• Organize and coordinate training, employee orientations, audits, inspections and environmental assessments and risk mitigation strategies; staff, projects and sites.
COMMUNICATIONS & CLIENT / REGULATORIES & COMMUNITY RELATIONS
• Communicate and liaise with clients and regulatory on HSE issues including pre-qualification requirements, site safety plans, non-conformance items, incident investigations, pre-job meetings, close-out meetings, DPR Permits and other contractor concerns.
• Consult with representatives of Chevron Nigeria Ltd under the initiative of Chevron called CHESM on a wide range of safety compliance and regulatory issues.
• Build relationships with key stakeholders in the local communities we operate.
• Deal directly with DPR, FAAN and NCAA HSE Inspectors regarding non-conformance items, deficiency corrections, performance issues, case studies and new initiatives.
SUBCONTRACTOR RELATIONS, NEGOTIATIONS & CONTRACTS
• Source, negotiate contracts and secure third party services for training, HSE signage, advanced first aid and OIS (Occupational Injury Services) Clinics
• Pre- qualify construction contractors, issue documentation (RFPs, RFQs) and allocate risk ratings based on HSE metrics and statistics
SAFETY TRAINING & COMPLIANCE
• Lead and deliver training programs or seminars in Safety Documentation, Risk Assessment, , HSE MS, Incident Management and Drug and Alcohol Policy.
• Set and maintain high standards. Provide daily motivation and training to ensure employees realize that their work is meaningful. Influenced and encourage personnel to participate in self-improvement processes.
• Oversee and control safety procedures, policies, plans and programs pertaining to PPE, JHA, ERP, SOP, Confined Space, and Spill Containment
• Create, customize, develop, implement, track and update HSE MS at office and ramp sites.
• Maintain and apply the entire HSE management system including standards, JHA, SOPs and development
INVESTIGATIONS, AUDITS & PERMITS
• Carry out comprehensive job/site HSE audits and inspections
• Carry out Aviation Fuel System Inspection Maintenance on Onshore and Offshore locations of Chevron Nigeria Limited every 3 months
• Audit, pull and ensure proper permits are in place prior to and during projects (i.e. Ground Disturbance, Confined Space, Lock-out/Tag-out, Hot Work, Cold Work, Client Required, Utility)
• Carry out Root Cause analysis, prepare and deliver final reports along with recommendations to senior management
• Organize safety drills across all our locations in line with company requirements and global best practices.
• Designed a safety portal where near misses, incidents and some other safety related issues are shared
COMMITTEE & SENIOR MANAGEMENT REPRESENTATION
• Chair monthly meetings with all members of staff to review site issues, upcoming HS E initiatives, training programs and areas of risk.
• Participate in weekly depot meetings with the Operations team to review office maintenance issues, inspections compliance and areas of risk pertaining to the facility.
• Instituted a strong focus on safety through creative incentives, education and employee empowerment that increased the safety culture of the organization.
REPORTING & COST MANAGEMENT
• Create and distribute monthly, quarterly and annual reports to all vested stake holders (e.g. Safety Statistics, KPIs, Lead/Lag Indicators, Near Misses, Inspections, and TRIFs).
• Build and present case and feasibility studies to justify costs and achieve management buy-in
ACCOMPLISHMENTS & CONTRIBUTIONS
• Reduced TRIF from 30% to 7% (14 % below industry standards of 21%); launched task specific tailgate meetings and quality toolbox meetings; introduced proper hazard group risk assessments, improved inspections and achieved buy-in from Operations for the HSE MS; HSE control and Manager specific training for all management and supervisory safety personnel.
• Raised safety standard significantly through multiple new initiatives which subsequently reduced LTIs from 13 to 2 and then 0 incidents annually.
• Negotiated Operations buy-in and executed task specific PPE, Alcohol and Drug policy and Loss Prevention Observation across our depots/facilities nationwide which contributed to a 80% decrease in safety incidents
• Recognized by peers as a Leader in safety and established superior performance ratings based on communications, safety record, attendance and accountability.
• Worked with MD, General Managers and Regional Business Managers to design and implement the new HSE Management System; it was rolled out company-wide and led to continuous improvement of the Plan Do Check Act (i.e. project planning, organization and execution)
• Designed safety portal where safety related issues are communicated to staff.
• Designed an all-encompassing safety KPI
• Reporting to the Aviation Superintendent, coordinated safety program s site inspections, audits, safety controls, gauges, instruments & meters calibration.
• Worked with Aviation Superintendent and Aviation Operation Manager to ensure wingmen and other staff were operating in a manner that complied with ExxonMobil Aviation safety guidelines.
• Acted as Safety coordinator in Aviation department of Mobil Oil Nigeria
• Periodic update of Operations Integrity Management System files.
• Coordinated site safety inspections
• Chaired daily tailgate and weekly toolbox meetings with colleagues, Trainees, Supervisors and Manager.
• Administered job safety and site hazard assessments
• Supervised the calibration of equipment
• Carryout periodic Millipore test on the filtration unit.
• Monitored and Reduced the oil loss to below industry standard of +/-0.2%
• Successfully sat on Oil Loss committee with the MD, providing continuous feedback on losses resulting from Jet fuel Storage and handling for Lagos Into-plane, Lagos Domestic and JUHI plants.
TRAINING & CERTIFICATIONS
• NEBOSH 2012 International General Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety
• BUREAU VERITAS (BV) 2013 QMS Foundation based on ISO 9001: 2008 (IRCA)
• Office Ergonomics Awareness
• Cyber Security
• Meter Calibration
• Hydrocarbon Control Practices HCP
• Records Management
• Loss Prevention System
• Smith Defensive Driving
• Microsoft Office 2013 • Corel Draw • Adobe Photoshop