The dilemma of job search has always been important since the earliest times. Nowadays this problem is very actual for Nigeria where population is much larger than the number of vacancies offered. That is why a great number of persons are ready to perform any job which helps them survive and provide with all necessary things: clothing, food, shelter, health services.
Nevertheless, there are some secrets and recommendations that will be useful for anyone who still wants to find a good post and try to build a career. They are quite simple and suitable for anyone:
- Make a list with your 5-10 job skills that would be relevant for future job. Determine the goals that you would like to achieve and consider whether you have enough professional and personal qualities for good performance of tasks.
- Think over the minimum salary requirement that would be appropriate for your qualification, but be ready to accept job offers with lower pay. It is quite possible that if you are able to perform your duties or after a successful probation period your wage will be increased.
- Good position often needs a certain education. If you have no education you may try to finish the training courses to gain experience in a particular field. In Nigeria the most popular and profitable industries are oil and gas, building, telecommunications, construction.
- Make a resume with the following information: personal data, education level (certificates and courses), the desired position and salary, type of employment, work experience with indication of previous posts and names of the organizations, duties and functions you performed, the willingness for long business trips and possible relocation. If you have no experience, you can specify the skills that you have gained at different periods in your life (manufacturing practice, participation in competitions, seminars and conferences). The desired length of the resume is up to one page.
- Tell friends that you are looking for a job. Their recommendations may be the best way to find good position.
- The Internet is the one of the most powerful resources where continually job is offered. Get acquainted with websites that propose career positions with different working conditions in the desired city. In Nigeria the most recommended is the site http://job.naij.com/.The number of users of the network has reached 220,000 people (more than 217 000 job seekers and not less than 1500 companies). 1000 vacancies and 5700 resumes are added weekly.
- The region of residence is very important factor because different cities need different professions. For example, in large cities, such as Lagos, Kano and Kaduna, the most popular positions are administrative officers, food technologists, marine managers, assistant managers. The professions of driller, builder, medical representative are always in great demand in every city. Engineering industry is dynamic and rapidly developing and specializations of analyst and mechanical engineer are gaining increasing popularity.
- Gather all contacts of the desired companies: addresses, phones, emails, names of directors. Sometimes it is better to call and ask about vacancies. Your chances to be employed may rapidly grow because most employers prefer people with an active life position.
- Try to pass the interview with the large number of companies. Then you will be able to compare working conditions, wage rates, and thus narrow down the list and select the most advantageous employer for you. Always be ready to present all necessary documents: reports, published articles, reviews and recommendations from previous employers and clients.
- Try to find reviews on your future company. Your friends may know some good information about the directors and real working conditions. There are a great number of websites where "black" and "white" lists of employers are represented.
- Some employers are using social and professional networks to search for the required candidates and employees. So you may use your account not only for the communication but also for your career aspirations.
If you are not lucky to find the desired position or the problem of unemployment is very urgent for your region, distant job with free schedule may be a good alternative. The vacancies can be found on the above mentioned website.